Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Update on Mandy

This picture is so special to me because it is the first time that Mandy met Myah, today. Myah went right in bed with her despite how nervous she was to enter the hospital after all she went through last week! I took this picture with my camera phone.


My family and I were up at the hospital with Mandy today and I can honestly say that all of us are amazed at how well she is handling this situation. I walked in her room and her niece and nephews were in her bed with her, lifting her up and down, she is smiling from ear to ear, taking their pictures with her cell phone. She then turned the camera to Myah and Dayton and started snapping theirs. Mandy has always been the little spit fire of our family, ever since she was very small, we knew that she was not going to take anything from anybody. I think God planted that spirit in her knowing the challenges that she would face in life. She is one of the funniest people I have ever met, God also has blessed her with the gift of humor. She loves to make jokes, laugh and have a good time. She has a huge heart, I have never seen anyone love her family and pets so much. She has raised and bred German Shephards for several years now and they are her babies. Mostly they are raised to become police dogs. Even with all of her disabilities she has been able to take care of her 7 dogs. Today one of the only times she started to cry was when she talked about her dogs sensing that she was dying. She has never married, and has no children so her dogs are her life as you can imagine.

During Mandy's life she has had so many surgeries on her little legs and feet, sadly it became normal for us to see her with crutches at a very young age and then braces, and wheelchairs. Amazingly, these things never got in her way, ever. She would walk, dance, swim and play just like all of us kids. She never once complained, I can honestly say that. I have never heard her complain about her disablities. She is very knowledgeable about her diseases and is very pro active in her own health. I am ashamed to say that I did not know she was this bad. I don't get to see her as much as I used to. She lives about 3 1/2 hours away from me now, so when I got the call today, my heart just sank. I knew that this was a disease that had taken its toll on her body through the years but I never imagined that at 31 years of age she could be taken from us. Mandy is a very spiritual woman and believes in a wonderful God. However, she is a bit scared right now, she told me she isn't sure if she is ready yet. She met with Hospice today and will be going home under their care in a few days. We don't know how much time she has left with us. She lost her dad just 2 years ago and she knows that he is waiting for her. However, she doesn't want to leave her family and her dogs, she doesn't want them to hurt. She has such a great attitude and is laughing through the tears, it is hard to get caught up in the seriousness of it all with her. She told me today that she just signed up at her church to help out with teaching the children, she said, "wow, I am a really great helper, I sign up and then I die on the kids". That is Mandy. She makes jokes to get through the tough times. That is how our family deals with life in general. We are a goofy, laugh till we cry family. And when one of us is hurting, we all are hurting, and we try to lift each other up with our humor. It works.

I just ask for your continued prayers for her and our family, especially her mother MaryAnn and her brother Cleo. Melanie and I were talking tonight and we are still in shock, all of us are actually. But we are banding together and will make the life that Mandy has left with us meaningful and special. She is the baby in our family and we protect her as you would expect. She is too young to die, bottom line, but we will be strong for her sake and draw upon the Lord for guidance and strength. Thank you all for your love and support once again, gosh I sure have said that alot lately haven't I? I sure appreciate it and I will let Mandy know about all of the special prayers being sent up in her honor. Love you all.

19 comments:

Chrissy said...

Wishing Mandy and her family all the best during this difficult time.

Robin said...

Leslie,
My heart is aching for you this morning...I'll be praying for your dear cousin Mandy and your whole family today.
Love,
Robin

Sheri said...

Praying, praying, praying for all of you! Leslie, you've been through so much lately, and my heart is breaking for you. Right now, the only way I know how to help you is to pray. God definitely has some special plans for Mandy up there in heaven to be taking her from you already. I pray that the time you have left with her will be extra special!

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Leslie~

I love how you've captured the sweetness of Mandy and the closeness of your family in this post. Many would look at Mandy's short life and feel sorry for her but after reading about your family, I bet she feels pretty blessed.

I know this is a terribly difficult time and I wish I had some magic words of comfort. I just pray God will give Mandy peace as she faces the time she has left and you and your family many special memories.

Lifting you up in prayer, my friend.

Love,
Lisa

Kim said...

Praying for you, Mandy and your whole family. Mandy sounds like a very special lady.

Heather said...

Leslie,

I think I am in shock with you - I always struggle with the purpose of vibrant lives cut short, long before we are ever ready to release them to our loving Father. Mandy sounds wonderful, delightful, just lovely. I am so thankful she has faith and even in the midst of her fear, will have a great big God to lean on. Doesn't make it better or easier, just hoping it will bring her peace.

I went to sleep praying for your family and woke up to the same:) I will continue to do so - I am so sorry for this painful, painful time.

Love and hugs,
Heather

Somewhere In The Sun said...

Oh Leslie, it's just so sad. I'm so sorry that you are going to lose such a dear family member. She sounds like a strong and wonderful woman. I know she will be greatly missed. How wonderful that she got to meet Myah.

~Lynn

Dawn said...

Leslie~

I am so sorry Mandy and all of your family is going through this difficult time. My heart aches for all of you...I agree with Sheri, God needs Mandy or he wouldn't be taken her from you so soon. I am so glad you got that special picture of her and Myah...what a treasure.

Love
Dawn

Roger That said...

I am so sorry to hear about your niece. We will keep you in our prayers.

I have a question. Could you e-mail me a list of boutiques you know of in Michigan:)
jennibjackson@hotmail.com

Erin said...

Oh Leslie... what an inspiring person Mandy is. She has such an obvious kindness about her that touched me... someone she doesn't even know. I believe in heaven with all of my heart. Since my son James has gone to be there, I have had several experiences which have helped me to believe even more stongly that it is real. That we really do live together there after we die. May Mandy's last days on this earth be peaceful for her. Your family is the kind of family that I think everyone hopes to have in this life, and you have something wonderful together. Something which I do not believe even death can take away from you.

Annette said...

What a beautiful post about your cousin, she sounds like a wonderful person and you can feel the love and respect you have for her. Wishing Mandy and your family peace during this difficult time.

Stefanie said...

My goodness, what a special person Mandy is. I have tears in my eyes reading all about her strength, humor and love for others. Such an inspiration she is!
What a blessing that her heart belongs to our Heavenly Father and that she will be welcomed in heaven by her earthly father as well... I will keep her and your family in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,

My heart breaks for you and your family. I know that Mandy is such a special person and I will keep her and all of you in my prayers. She is lucky to have so many people who love her. Please know I'm thinking of you.
Love,
Abbie

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry. Lots of tears and extra prayers for Mandy and your entire family. She is an incredible person who is obviously very deeply loved and cherished!

Hugs,
June

jennifer said...

I am so sorry for your family. I will be lifting you all up in prayer.

Football and Fried Rice said...

Oh what a beautiful young woman! I can't imagine how scared she is. I think even those of us who believe in The One & know what is waiting for us are still scared - it is our nature. I am lifting up the family right now...

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe all of this! I think the last time I saw Mandy was at your wedding, looking awesome! I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers, along with the rest of the family. Please let Mandy know that I am thinking of her and her puppies!

3 Peanuts said...

Thank you for the update on Mandy. we are praying for everyone involved.

Kim

Jewels of My Heart said...

I am just so sorry.... I can't imagine how heartbreaking it is for all of you.... What a beautiful, young woman....
Mandy and her loving family are in my prayers.....
God's Speed home........
God's peace for those who will miss you terribly until they see you again.