Monday, October 1, 2007

Please Pray for Our State!

These were taken on Dayton's fourth grade field trip to our Capital, I love this building and was born right down the road from it.

I am not a political person at all however, I am freaking out right now with the decisions that our state government is facing this weekend. I don't know all of the details that led us to this place in our economy, our state is in a horrible place right now. Please pray for resolution before Monday's deadline. If they don't reach a budget we stand to lose so much. Like our schools! Our schools could possibly close as early as October 12 the only one in the state that would remain open is the school for the deaf. How awful! Our secretary of state offices will close, (like the dmv), no lottery, no state police, no rest areas, road construction will cease, drawbridges will be left open so boats can pass through, the food regulators will be no longer, environmental control will be gone, all state parks will close. Most state government offices will close. No regulators for gas pumps, department of history and libraries will close. Unemployment officies will close ( my mom works in this dept.), no financial aid or student loan checks will be paid. Is this scary stuff or what!? I am praying that this is just to scare us but you never know, times are very tough in our state. I had to chuckle a bit when I heard that they also will have no one to clean up the horse manure on Mackinac Island (for those of you who don't know, there are no cars on Mac.Isle.) Our state is so beautiful and we have so much to offer, it makes me very sad to say the least that it has come to this. I apologize for standing on my political podium but this is one issue that is going to affect our lives dramatically. I don't know what we would do if Dayton didn't have school! He loves this year so much, it would be devastating and confusing to him. So if you would please join me in praying that our law makers reach a budget by tomorrow, Oct. 1st. I would sure appreciate it, my heart is very heavy this weekend worrying about this matter.

6 comments:

Danielle Moss said...

Praying that a budget is reached. Praying for your state and everyone in it.

On another note it was so nice to get to talk to you today. So glad you were able to witness how smart I am and what I wonderful sense of direction I have.

Kurt & Kim Lipsky said...

Hi Leslie
I've been meaning to post - yes, I check daily. I'm hooked! I would love instructions on how to make a tutu for Hannah! I love reading about Myah and your beautiful family. We really need to get these two cuties together. They have a lot in common.

Praying for our beautiful state!

Heather said...

Oh my goodness - very scary stuff - we will certainly pray - thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Keep us informed...
Heather

Lynn said...

Ugh! It is very hard to be a Michigander right now. We are so blessed and doing well but I see so much unemployment and forclosures and empty storefronts everywhere... It makes me nervous.

Lori said...

Leslie, I'm late in catching up here, but I did pray for your state the other day when you asked. I'm glad they passed it, it's amazing how much is impacted!

Michael and Tammy said...

Hi Leslie

I have come across your blog and LOVE IT!!! I read your post in which you encouraged people to leave a comment. I hate when I see my counter go up and yet no one has left comments so I thouhgt I would. My husband and I are also adopting a little girl from China and we are also naming her Mhyia (just spelt differently). We still have a LONG wait so I spend my time following along on other peoples journey! You have a beautiful daughter and a beautiful family!! Feel free to come by our blog as well!

Tammy