Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lemonade Stand






This past weekend I was up north at my sisters for a few days having a garage sale. We both did pretty well. I love cleaning out the stuff we don't need before winter comes. My sister came up with the idea of setting up a lemonade stand and giving the proceeds to Morgan's family. Her memorial service was on Saturday and there have been a few very nice newspaper articles about her life and her family this past week. Ironically, when Melanie was asking me if I thought this would be a good idea, I was reading one of those articles online at the time of her call. I was especially disturbed to read that their electric bill is $1ooo and they are unable to pay for it. Both of her Morgan's parents have lost their jobs and income. So you can bet we held a lemonade stand to help out this special family. The girls were such good helpers, and we were amazed at everyone's generosity. In total the girls sold $70 worth of lemonade and suckers. My sister decided to match their earnings with some of her garage sale money. I am so grateful to all of those people, they were so compassionate and willing to give. Her story touched everyone. One of our last customers touched my heart and I will never forget her. I must tell you that we were selling the lemonade for 25 cents and the suckers/taffy were a dime. Many people paid a quarter or gave a dollar. At the end of the day we ran out of lemonade but the jar was still there, the bottom full of the lemons that had been soaking in the lemonade all day. As this car pulled into the driveway, I could hear that there was no muffler, the car was squeaking very loudly, it was banged up and bruised and missing alot of parts. Two ladies stepped out, a mother and daughter. They looked a little rough, like life had not been very easy for them. We made small talk and they looked around. The mother bought 2 angels from Mel that hang on the wall. We didn't ask her if she wanted to donate, it just didn't seem appropriate. But we didn't have to, she walked right up to the table and said "I will take a glass full of lemons, (remember, the lemonade was gone) and fill up this other cup with candy. " She handed us a $5 bill and we went to make change and she told us to keep it for the family. She gave the largest donation of the day. As they drove away, Mel and I were both touched by her generosity, I am sure that $5 did not come easily to her,yet she gave it so unselfishly to a family in need. Bless her heart, I will never forget her. I am so thankful to everyone who gave to this special family, I have no doubt it will be a blessing to them.

8 comments:

Stefanie said...

What a bunch of cuties running that lemonade stand!! Sounds like a fun day and for a wonderful cause :) Such a sweet story about your biggest contributor, too... a reminder that giving selflessly is a beautiful and inspiring thing!

fleur de lis cottage said...

What a sweet post and lemonade stand. Angels must drive squeaky cars. Bless her heart!

Erin said...

That is a beautiful story in every way. And who wouldn't stop for those little pretties?

Annette said...

What a beautiful story... the girls look darling too!

DiJo said...

Thank you for sharing that beautiful story! That was the prettiest Lemonade Stand I have ever seen!! I agree with Felicia, angels stopped by that day!

Happy Fall!
Diana

Amie said...

Leslie-

What a sweet story. Brought me to tears. I would love to give something, could you please e-mail me and let me know how to do that.

Thanks so much!

:)
Amie
www.heart-smiles.blogspot.com

Heather said...

What abeautiful story, Leslie. Surely an angel was in your presence at that moment.

Those little girls look positively sweet themselves:)

Great post.

Love,
Heather

Lori said...

What a special time for all of you and what a treat to have met some angels!! :) Love the lemonade stand!