Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Prom Past and Present

My youngest cousin Kortney and her date.
Kortney and her friends, aren't they gorgeous?!!
L-R Taylor and his date, Nate and Rachel and Rachel's brother Greg and his date. Nate and Rachel are seniors this year and Taylor is a sophomore.
Then we have this lovely couple, from 1988! We look like babies!
My crowning moment! Mr. H needs a chair to see over my bangs!! Andy the King and I are dancing in the first picture. (these are from my old scrapbook) This is right out of my high school yearbook! Andy and I are with our Prom Court, the bottom picture is just the two of us. See, no crown, no roses and big hair!




Prom season is upon us and every weekend we see young couples going out to dinner before the big event, dressed in their finest, smelling their best, 100 bobby pins holding up that hair, well tanned bodies, giddy in love and enjoying this special night in their lives. I know I have told you before that Mark and I went to 3 proms together! Poor guy had to come home from college to take me to my senior prom! Mark knows I totally get all gushy and geeked up when I see prom couples. The other night we were in Applebees and he said, "oh boy Les, it is prom!" He knew I would spend our dinner checking the dresses out. Wow have they changed since I went to prom, they look more like the pretty little something I wore on our wedding night!

Our nephews both attended their prom a few weeks ago and my cousin Kortney also attended her prom the same weekend. I can't believe that they are now as old as we were back then, where does the time go? Nate is graduating this year and has been dating the swettest young lady, Rachel for about a year now. Taylor went with a friend of his and Kortney also went with a cutie pie. Boy does this take me back! Twenty years ago this week I was crowned Prom Queen of the Class of 1988, my goodness, do I feel old! Twenty years!!!! Two decades ago! 20 dress sizes later too! (ok not really but close, I was barely a size 1 back then! ) I pulled my old yearbook out this week, it just seems so strange that I hardly see any of those people on those pages anymore. I felt so honored to be chosen as their queen, my mom had always taught me to be nice to EVERYONE, and I guess it paid off. I remember when they called my name, I was in shock, I thought it would have gone to one of the couples up for it. Instead, one of the guys who was in one of those relationships won the King and I was the queen. We were good friends and he was a nice guy so I was happy for him as well, we had to share a dance, it was a bit awkward but I remember us both shaking from the excitement and both shared how honored we were. My Dad's really good friend was our Assistant Principal and he crowned me that night. Our Principal had been in trouble for conducting a strip search and so our AP was the acting Principal at the time. It was kind of neat that Mr. H. got to crown me being that he actually knew my family well. The teacher advisor in charge of the Prom came up to me immediately and apologized for the fact that my bouquet of roses were at home in her refrigerator, she asked for my address and told me she would drop them off the next day after my track meet. Sure enough, the next day, I arrived home late in the day and they were on our porch. So in our picture in the yearbook you can't see my crown because I had huge 80's bangs and it got lost in my hair, and I had no roses! So typical of the way things go in my life! I remember looking over at Mark while I was dancing with Andy (king) and he had the biggest smile on his face, he has always been so supportive of me! I remember going back to Mark's parents house that night after the prom and his brother Scott was still awake and he asked how our night went, I pulled my crown out of my hair and he congratulated me. My parents were really proud of me as well. My dad kept calling me Queenie. That was also the name of our first Irish Setter so not sure that was a good thing! I will always treasure my little crown and the honor I felt that night, it was very special to me. Here are a few pictures of the new prom and the old prom couples!

9 comments:

Colleen said...

What a fun post!! Thanks for sharing your special memories.

Sharon said...

Two beautiful Blogs!!! I love prom! Next year will be Barrington's first.
Your cousin is lovely!!

Kate said...

Oh yeah....I sported those same bangs in 1988...those were the days!!! Such a fun post...I am always glad to know I am not the only one with such pictures in my scrapbook!!

Your cousin looks lovely! It's hard to think that this picutre might someday cause her to chuckle too...

3 Peanuts said...

I am not surprised at all that you were prom queen you little beauty! You were about 92 lbs too!
Kim

Erin said...

Great to read about you and Mark "back in the day"! Your mother gave you great advice... look how far it has gotten you! You made an adorable prom queen. Tanner went to his last prom last weekend... I felt a little melancholy watching them drive away. Cute post!

Christy said...

Look at you guys-- you both were so darn cute!! What hotties and the king and queen to boot?? WOW!!!! You guys look great!!

Christy :)

Lori said...

Yes, they are GORGEOUS!!
You've brought back such fun memories~ of oh so long ago! heehee
You were a beautiful queen~ and STILL ARE!! :)

Penny said...

I can totally relate to the prom excitement. I work at a high school and I get to enjoy the prom each year; I can even chaperone them! Of course, it is not as much fun as being a student and attending. As the chaperone, you actually have to watch for those students attemtping to cause the trouble that you did at your prom! I also think the dresses worn these days look more like night wear then evening gowns!!!!

I remember the time you are talking about as the excitement for you and for Mark.

Courtney is gorgeous! I see a lot of both Uncle Mike and Aunt Chris. Gosh, where does time go!

Thanks for sharing!

Hannah said...

I stumbled across you blog today and this post is too much. I loved it. I went to the prom in 1988 also (class of 90...wow so old) and I can feel your pain, the hair, the dress they still haunt me...I love it.

Hannah