Thursday, May 15, 2008

National Police Memorial Day



Tonight we will be attending the awards ceremony and police memorial tribute for Mark's police department. We are always honored to attend this event and pay tribute to those who have shown great heroism throughout the year and also to reflect on those lives who were taken while on duty. This is something that we have experienced first hand. On July 23rd 2003, our friend and fellow officer Lew Stevens was hit by a drunk driver and killed instantly. He was the first and I pray the only officer that was killed in the line of duty at Mark's department. He was one of Mark's first training officers, a fellow detective with Mark and also his friend. This was one of the saddest experiences of our lives. Mark was ordered into work immediately, he lived there for the following days as he was one of the officers in charge of planning Lew's funeral. I have never seen anything like it. I was amazed at the brotherhood of all of the men in blue. I could see police motorcycles for miles and police lights for even longer. It was a beautiful tribute to our hero. Lew's name is on the memorial wall in Washington D.C., someday I would love to take Mark there to see it.
I know first hand the sacrifice that it takes to be a police officer, Mark always says he didn't become a police officer for the money. Sometimes I wonder why then? I believe in my heart it was what God chose him to do. He loves helping people no matter what the cost. After he fatally shot a man in order to save his own life, a few years ago, I did ask and pray for him to leave, it was a very difficult time for both of us. That moment changed our lives. God truly saved him. He was off work for 6 weeks while the investigation went on. As I posted last November, it is just now finally over and that was 3 years ago. I doubt a day goes by that Mark doesn't think about that day. But that does not stop him from lacing up his boots every night and doing the best job that he can do for his department and his community. Yes, many times "they" come first, it isn't always easy for me and the kids to accept, but I know he has a duty to do and a job he loves, he is good at it. Mark is the youngest Lieutenant that the department has, yet he has experienced so much in his almost 19 years. I am so proud of him and always have been, he is our hero and we honor him tonight as well.
Today marks the National Police Memorial Day around the country, if you have a flag please fly it at half staff in honor of those who ended their watch during the past year.

5 comments:

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Thank you, Leslie, for reminding us of the men and women around this country who bravely serve.

I pray God gives you peace and rest each day as Mark is working. I know it isn't easy for him or for your family. I also pray for God's continued protection for him and his comrades.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Love,
Lisa

Erin said...

Leslie... I had no idea that Mark had been shot---that your family had endured such a thing! May the family of Lt. Stevens be blessed for their sacfrifice. May your family be blessed for yours. True Heros!

Annette said...

Leslie... I know it takes a special person to be a police officer, as well as the spouse of one. I don't think I could do it. I was just at the police station getting my police clearance for my homestudy update and saw Lt. Stevens photo on the desk. I pray for continued safety for your husband, and am proud that he is serving his (my) community.

Kim said...

A big thank you to Mark and all his comrades who go out each day on the streets to keep us all safe!

In regards to Myah's birthday - we'd LOVE to come.

Football and Fried Rice said...

Thanking Mark (AND you!!) for his service & sacrifice. My hubby was a PO for 5 years & got stuck with a needle and a knife pulled on him..it really is a dangerous job!