Saturday, January 19, 2008

Three Years Ago Today, It All Began........

Our social worker Karen and Myah

On this date 3 years ago, we signed our paperwork with Adoption Associates, and began the amazing journey to our precious daughter. At that moment, we were full of so much hope and excitement for the first time in a long time. Once we had decided to move forward with an international adoption, we did everything in our power to move as quickly as possible. The night that we asked Dayton if he would like a little Chinese sister , Mark and I had been watching House Hunters on HGTV with Susan Wang ( a Chinese lady), at that point, I told Mark that I could not wait any longer, it was time to include Dayton in our decision making. We were so excited, we were almost fighting over who would ask him first! He was so thrilled, his eyes were filled with a new sparkle. What a gift a sister would be! He was in love with little Miss Whitney and the thought of having his own "Whitney" was enough to seal the deal in his mind!
I remember the day we filled out our application like it was yesterday, I remember the silly little details, like how perfect I thought our social worker Karen's handwriting was and how organized she seemed. As we sat in her office I was staring at all of the beautiful souvenirs that she had picked up during her trips to China, the gorgeous pictures on her walls, this all seemed so foreign to me at the time, but so intriguing, I wanted to see these beautiful places, purchase those beautiful gifts, but most of all, send her a Christmas card with our little girl's face on it too. Mark was so cute, asking so many questions, I am sure that Karen thought that this guy must never run out of them. We received a huge handbook that day and I swear I read everything from front to back several times. When we left the office, I never dreamed that words like immigration, 171-H, dossier, consulate, and Li Wen Ting would ever be part of my vocabulary.
This morning, as I play with my little China doll, I am reminded of all of the special people who were so instrumental in making the dream of our daughter a reality. It really did take a village! When we had Dayton, it was just Mark and I, when we adopted Myah, there was a whole list of people that had a hand in bringing her home to us. Someday Myah will learn about all of her special "Fairy God People". She is our daughter to raise as our own, but a day doesn't pass where we don't praise God for his hand in all of this, he planted the seed in my mind, put the right people in all the right places, protected Myah until we could bring her home, and most of all, guides us daily in raising our precious children.

16 comments:

Erin said...

WE signed our paperwok three years ago this week too! Amazing to have these little girls home where they belong! These days, to get a referral 10 1/2 months after LID would be unheard of---we thought it took soooo long! I really feel heartsick for all of those who must wait, with such uncertainty and longing! Congratulations on an important anniversary. (And thank you for your kind words!) Fondly, Erin

Heather said...

Weeping, I am weeping. Happy tears, sentimental ones, oh thank goodness for all that led you to your beautiful daughter. She is exquisite and Dayton is one fine big brother.

Thank you for sharing the importance of this day for your family. Our three year anniversary was yesterday - we went to our meeting and decided, so amazing the way God works:)

Blessings,
Heather

Steffie B. said...

beautiful post....thanks for stopping by my blog. Myah is just darling!

Leslie said...

What a beautiful post. Isn't sad when people don't see how wonderful our God truly is, and the Blessings that he gives us each and everyday. I'm so glad you realize that Leslie. That was a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing your heart.

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Leslie,

I say it over and over again but I truly never tire of hearing people's adoption stories.

Thank you for taking us back three years ago to this very special time in your family's life. I am so glad God touched your heart and brought you sweet Myah.

Many blessings,
Lisa

Jodee said...

Congrats on three happy years together! Myah is just adorable!

Danielle Moss said...

I'm sure it's amazing remembering what you were doing 3 years ago today. Remembering that this amazing decision led you to your beautiful daughter.

Congratulations on hitting this special milestone.

Nikki said...

Hey Leslie!
I loved reading your story - it all sounded so familiar to me! Such sweet memories! And, we almost went with Adoption Associates...I wonder if we live close to one another?
Your family is just beautiful.

Football and Fried Rice said...

Beautifully put. Isn't is amazing how much can happen in time if you allow it to?? Congratulations:D

Dawn said...

Congratulations on 3 wonderful years together. She is just beautiful, and your Dayton is so handsome, you are truly blessed!

Tiffany said...

I have been following your blog for a while now and I just love it. I don't know why I haven't said so before.
Your post reminded me of our first journey that started a little over 3 years ago.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful - so well said.

Jennifer, mommy to Adrienne

Christy said...

That is so cool. That day forever changed your life!!

My goodness Myah's hair is long!! That is just crazy. I hope MIa's hair is as long and beautiful as hers.

Christy :)

Lori said...

Beautiful, beautiful post Leslie~ thanks for the reminder of the many miracles that happened around us everyday and we don't even realize. :)

3 Peanuts said...

Leslie,

I loved reading about this special day 3 years ago. What a blessing Myah is! Hope you are all well:)

Deb said...

What a beautiful post Leslie! We completed pit paperwork 4 years ago this week! We too feel so blessed beyond words. God certainly has in hand in all of these red threads!