Saturday, January 26, 2008

Our High School Romance

Today marks a very special day for Mark and I, 22 years ago, he gave me his big 'ol class ring and asked if I would "go with him". Well, I took the ring, wore it on my finger with a huge ball of yarn wrapped around it and the rest is our history! We have been together ever since. I was a mere 15 years old and he was 17, a sophomore and a senior, cheerleader and basketball player. At the time I knew he was a special person and I hope he felt the same way, but I didn't start out this relationship with him expecting that I would spend the rest of my life with him, it just happened! He actually asked me in the kitchen of my parent's house during half time of the Superbowl between the Chicago Bears and the New England Patriots. This is how long ago it was, do you remember the SuperBowl shuffle and Refrigerator Perry, well, that was in 1986, same year as us! And the Space Shuttle blew up 2 days later. Wow, that seems like a long time ago! Somehow, months of dating became years and we became engaged and then married. And here we are with two beautiful children. We sure have seen alot of couples come and go and marriages fail during these years, and I am so thankful that our special relationship has been able to survive the test of time, years away at college, long distance romance and all of life's ups and downs. Mark is such a wonderful man and always has been. I am so thankful that I said yes so many years ago. We have always said "Happy Anniversary " to each other on the 26th of every month for 22 years, we even picked June 26 as our wedding date. It has now become a little competition to see who remembers it first. He just brought me a beautiful bouquet of roses and a whole bag of just "green m&m's", oh no, they are in a bag called the color of my love m&m's, I think I am in trouble! Hee Hee! Here is a little stroll down memory lane..... (ps, I had to add this cute song today!)





It actually all began when I was in 4th grade and Mark was in 6th grade, we met way back then!


Here is where our sparks were ignited, on the basketball court! Oh he will never forgive me for posting these pictures! Hee hee!This was his Senior prom, I loved the apple trees in his parent's backyard.


This was my Junior prom, he surprised me by pulling up to my house in his co-worker's new Grand Am GT, it was so cool at the time!



This was my senior prom, poor Mark had to go with me when he was a sophomore in college, however, I was crowned Prom Queen that night and I was not about to go alone or with someone else, and actually he would not let it happen either, he never complained! I remember how happy he was for me, I was so honored. This really doesn't seem that long ago now that I look back on it!

13 comments:

Nikki said...

What a beautiful, sweet, storybook romance you two have!
And, I love the pictures...

Dawn said...

Oh, and I just told my son, it is very rare, that two people who dated in high school marry. You are the wonderful exception!! We started dating on the 9th of March, and chose the 9th of July as our weddinng day, I love that you did the same!! Happy "Anniversary" :)

Lori said...

Oh Leslie, this post (and your relationship)is SO SWEET! How wonderful to have known each other for sooo long!
I loved seeing all the past pictures, you are such a cute couple. He sounds incredibly kind and I know you are, so you make a perfect couple. :)
Ok, I about fell off my chair when I saw the first picture of Mark~ Dayton looks EXACTLY like him!! I can't believe the resemblance! :0
Happy 'going together' Anniversary!
you mush balls!
Oh, I cracked up at the ring wrapped in yarn~ I did the same thing, my friends and I use to get the mohair stuff or whatever it is called so it was really 'soft'! LOL

Danielle Moss said...

These photos are just adorable! I can't believe that you have been together so long. That's amazing! Happy anniversary!

Sheri said...

Awwww! I just love the story of you and Mark being high school sweethearts. I have to say that the fact that you were 15 and Mark was 17 when you started dating freaks me out a bit now because I have a 16 year old son! Love the cheerleading and basketball pictures. You've gotta love the 80s! Are those gold gloves I see you wearing in the prom pictures? You little fashion plate! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. You two are the sweetest couple!

3 Peanuts said...

Oh Leslie,
SO cute. You are a tiny wisp of a thing!!!

I think your story is so sweet.

Happy anniversary of "going together."

Love,
Kim

jennifer said...

How cute! I love that you have all those pictures together. I remember the superbowl shuffle quite well!!! Too funny!

Happy Anniversary!!!!!

Jodee said...

Happy "going together" anniversary! It must be so much fun to go so far back with him! I am wishing you many more fun years of "going together!"

Snowflowers Mum said...

sweet.

Stefanie said...

What a fairytale romance you two have had! Thank you so much for sharing the story and the pictures!
You guys were lookin' HOT in those prom clothes!! No wonder you were voted Prom Queen :)

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

What an amazingly romantic, beautiful story. I am so thankful your true love came early in your life and you have had so many wonderful times together.

Thanks for taking us back to your beginnings...

Happiness ALWAYS you prom queen...

Hugs,
Lisa

DiJo said...

Leslie,
I love this post!!!! Especially those pics of you in high school!!!
I have a few with the same hairdoo's!!!! Happy anniversary of a very special time!!!!! What a blessing to be together all this time!! Congratulations!
-Diana

Football and Fried Rice said...

What a sweet, sweet story! I love that you have such a romantic history & pictures to show your children!! Congratulations:D