Friday, July 13, 2007

My Hero


I can't believe that 17 years ago today Mark started his new job as a police officer. Ironically it was also a Friday the 13th. I did have a few reservations about him starting on such a day but all went well. I remember moving him down to our friend's house and crying the whole way home. Phyllis was driving and Eric sat in between us handing us tissues. He was 2 hours away from me! Oh young love!! Mark had graduated at the top of his class in college and was blessed with many job offers, many of them in the metro area. I knew that his dream was to be a police officer so I couldn't help but be happy for him. I was sad that he had to leave everything that he loved, his family, friends, community, me.... and start out all alone not knowing anyone in a strange area. He will agree that they were very long months. However, now we are so thankful that he works for such a great, state of the art police department. He has had the opportunity to explore areas of law enforcement that we never dreamed he would go. We also thank God for his promotions over the last 6 years. He has experienced some very dramatic moments through the years and we praise God for his safety and security. He has put his life on the line to protect his community, he is a hero in every sense of the word. Many people ask if I worry about him. I always reply no because I seriously don't. He is living his dream, and that makes me happy. That is not to say that I don't get upset at times, the schedules are very demanding, he may leave in the middle of the night, have meetings and court without much warning, he is always sleep deprived, and work comes first many times. A police officer's wife is not an easy job but fortunately, we have a sister hood of other wives who understand our situation and we look out for each other. We have witnessed many marriages fail during his 17 years with the department. It isn't easy that is for sure, but to Mark's credit he has made our family a priority. We might not get to see him as much as we would like to but he makes the most of those precious moments that we do have together by spending time with us. Some of you don't know us personally, most of you do and you know of the situations we have faced in recent years. Our faith was never more stronger than the morning he called me and told me that he was involved in a shooting. Not sure of the situation, I drove home from up north frantically, learning news from my friends who were watching the news and calling my cell phone. I can't really share a whole lot more at this point but I know that Mark was spared that morning. God shielded him and wrapped his arms around my precious hubby and gave him the strength to protect himself. He is so brave and so humble. I love him so much and appreciate his hard work all these years, he is such a great provider for our family and works so hard so that I can stay home and raise our children. We pray for daddy's safety every night, believe me, it works. We love you Lt. Schultz!

1 comment:

Lori said...

Wow, what a great post about your husband!!
Yes, you wives are truly special woman! Thanks for the sacrifice your family gives for those of us who are protected by them!