Friday, February 27, 2009

Mommy the "Artist"

My new favorite store Acorn Farm
My first creation, I call it the big red barn next to the apple tree.

Here is the great smelling potpourri that Kathy makes at her store, my pick was the lime vanilla.

A few weeks ago while I was out shopping for a new couch I ran across an adorable new store in a nearby downtown. I was drawn in by the name "Acorn Farm" isn't that just so cute. I walked in and knew right away that this was probably my new favorite place to go when mommy needs some time to herself. It is a cooking/stationary/childrens goodies/home dec store. As I was leaving I noticed a cute little painting on the countertop, the lady behind the counter told me that they offer several cooking classes at the store and each month a watercolor painting class. The little barn with an apple tree picture was going to be next month's creation and she reassured me that yours will actually look like the original. So I thought what the heck, for $20 I can give myself a few hours out of the house and maybe start a new hobby. I am NOT an artist by no stretch of the imagination. Actually when I told Dayton that I was going to take a painting class, he cracked up, I mean CRACKED up! My good friend Val watched Myah for me and off I went yesterday. The owner of the store Kathy is just the sweetest person you would ever want to meet, I love someone who smiles as much as I does not think I am goofy (right mom!). Anywhooo, I was there with about 8 other women, mostly all older women, but I love spending time with people of "age" so I was thrilled to be spending my precious mommy time with these sweet little ladies. The teacher Wendy was so patient and so talented. I had a wonderful time, they are all asking me to come back and they also want me to join their Optimist club, (which is too far away so I wont' be doing it but flattered that they asked). I was pretty proud of my creation, it is just a tiny print about 4x6 but it is a good start. Mine didn't even look close to the original but Wendy kept telling us it was our "own interpretation", her nice way of saying, keep your day job! I cannot tell you how much fun I had! I really needed that! Afterwards Kathy gave us a 20% off coupon to spend in the store so I purchased a box of her own blend of potpourri, she has the beautiful jars filled with her seasonal scents. I took Val a small box too for watching my little darling. They have them boxed up so cute in a Chinese take out box with cute ribbon. I am sure my sister is dying to see my work, please be gentle Mel, remember I am the organized one! I will definately be going back next month!

8 comments:

Melanie said...

You ARE an artist!!!! Look at your photographs if you need to be reminded!
Your painting is adorable! I am proud of you for taking the time to do this for yourself! I knew it would be a little puffy. "Puffy" is your trademark!Maybe now I can teach you acrylics...if you can do watercolor, trust me, you can do acrylics. I love ya Sis!

fleur de lis cottage said...

Wow you are your sis are tooo talented. And I would love that store.

3 Peanuts said...

Leslie---

I am SO proud of you! Really. I am the WORST artist but I would have been there right alongside you trying. It is good to step outside your comfort zone and try. I think it looks quite good. And I agree with mel---just look at your photography and your decorating---you ARE an artist. Glad you did something for you:)

HUgs,
Kim

Love Being A Nonny said...

I can tell I would love that store. I would take the cooking class, but I'll leave the painting to you and Mel....Great job!!!

Lynn said...

Hello! I haven't stopped by in such a long time.... are you still in A2??

Glad to see you are still blogging, your kids are getting big! We are still waiting for China but were able to adopt domestically 10 months ago... I'm finally getting back into blogging again!

Love the art work!

Jewels of My Heart said...

I have to tell you that your painting is darling! You do have talent and you could even sell it! It's that good. I love it!
Sounds like you had a wonderful time.
Good for you.

Rebecca Lily said...

Wow, you're definitely an artist! And good for you for trying something new. I think I would love that store, too. :)

Lori said...

Oh Leslie, how wonderful that you got out and did such a fun thing and something different! I think your painting is great! That store sounds like a special place, and what a pretty storefront!
By the way, your are SO an artist! :)