Saturday, February 23, 2008

It is a good thing they give out trinkets!

It amazes me what Myah will do for a free pencil, sparkly toothpaste, a little ring, some stickers and a new toothbrush. I hope this will be enough incentive to encourage her to be a good girl at the dentist and doctor's offices. On Monday we start the first round of her dental work, the following Monday we do the rest ( and Dayton has all of his allergy and asthma testing in the afternoon). And yesterday we learned that the tonsils and adenoids (sp?) are coming out! I have to call on Tuesday to schedule the surgery, probably will be done in a few weeks. The ENT took one look at her enormous tonsils and said "yeah, they are huge!" He said they base them on a scale of 1 to 4 and hers were a 4 plus! I knew it! Don't ever stop listening to that mother's instinct on things, I once heard Oprah say that your instincts are usually the voice of God, I do believe it! I just didn't feel like our pediatrician was giving our concerns any validation at all. I won't get into all that our Doctor has done this past year to make us question her practice, I am just so thankful for our new Doctor, she took one look at both Dayton and Myah and reassured me that there is alot she can do for them. I can't express on here what a relief it is to Mark and I.
The ENT assured us that Myah would feel much better. To be honest, I am not sure if she "feels" bad, she is a tough cookie, she hardly cries when she is really hurt! However she is very irritable and snores very loudly at night, I doubt she gets a good nights rest. We had her sleeping in our room the other night because her new big girl bed wasn't ready just yet, and Mark had to put a fan right by his head in order to drown out our little princess! She can snore!!! I am praying that having her tonsils and adenoids removed it will take the edge off of her as well. I have seen so many glimpses lately of a very sweet caring little girl, after talking to the doctor's and other parents, I have to believe that alot of her "spicy" characteristics stem from not feeling well. We'll see!! We will have to stay a night in the hospital with her, only because she is under 3 years old.
So if you would just please say an extra little prayer for Myah over the next few weeks, I know that these aren't life threatening illnesses or anything like that but nonetheless, they are scary to her and she isn't allowed to take any aspirin like meds before having the surgery, so I am praying that her teeth won't hurt after the procedures because I can't give her anything for the pain. Good thing I didn't hang up my nurses hat just yet! Mark is going to try to go back to work on Monday night, his eyes are still healing but they are looking better every day! And on the bright side, there is the most adorable little coffee/snack bar inside of our new Doctor's building, it is a brand new facility and is just beautiful! They have great magazines for sale, and you know how I love my magazines! I am sad aren't I?

10 comments:

Somewhere In The Sun said...

I will be praying for Myah. I know how difficult it can be to go through these procedures. I heard that same episode of Oprah years ago and I believe it too. I've learned through trial and error that doctor's don't know everything! Good for you for following your "inner mommy voice!"

~Lynn

Erin said...

Oh my! That is a whole lot of health troubles for one little family! I am sorry for all that you are going through. It is so tough. Hang on, Leslie! I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers! Cute little Myah! (Libby was very traumatized after her surgery, and wouldn't let doctors or the dentist near her... we have had great success practicing on her stuffed animals---she'll tell them 'Be brave, this might hurt a bit!', and now she is REALLY great with shots, doctors, the dentist, etc.) Maybe this would help Myah prepare?

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

We ABSOLUTELY will be praying for our sweet friend Myah (and her Mommy, too).

Hugs,
Lisa

Lori said...

Oh, yes, those little goodie bags have saved me many times! :)
I will continue to pray for all of you and for Myah's next few weeks.
I'm glad you found the help you needed with another doctor~ and hey, if you HAVE to go to the doctor's offices, you might as well find one with a great little magazine shop! :D
I'll be thinking of Mark on Monday!
Myah looks adorable with her goodie bad and her pretty outfit. :)

Heather said...

Sad???? I think NOT! But a great Momma, you are! That inner voice is there for a reason. (I call it Mommyition)

We wish you peace and best wishes with all that is coming up these next few weeks. Our prayers will be in full force:)

We have done the allergist road and the ENT road, Em has one HUGE tonsil and lots of allergies to boot. They have opted not to operate on her yet, since her issues began after age three. She is a bigger girl and they feel she will outgrow the big tonsil and they have treated her more like an asthmatic, which has worked to this point. Every check-up I wonder if this will be the one where we have to make a different choice. Mommies live and they learn. (Oh yeah, the allergy testing is not so bad, Em actually thought it was really interesting and she was tested at three for the first time - I was tested my whole life)

Thinking of you
Heather

Nikki said...

I'm glad you've found a doctor that you're happy with...I will certainly keep sweet Myah in my prayers.

Jana said...

I'll keep Myah in my prayers. I want to offer a bit of encouragement. My middle son, Hagan, used to snore so loudly at the age of FOUR that he'd wake everyone in the house!! When I expressed my concerns to our pediatrician he ordered some x-rays and tests, and recommended that we have his tonsils and adenoids taken out. Turns out they were HUGE -- the doctor said they were the largest he'd ever removed in a child.

Because they were so large, Hagan had Sleep Apnea and probably had never had a full night's rest. Once he recovered from the surgery, he was a DIFFERENT CHILD. It was absolutely amazing -- much more patient, kind, attentive and calm. It's amazing what a good night sleep will do!!

Best of luck -- get the ice cream ready:)

Sharon said...

I found you blog and you have a similar paper boarder to mine! Your family is beautful and I wanted to say hi. We are due to travel in May and I love to see your daughter so happy at home.
God Bless!!

Danielle Moss said...

I'll keep sweet little Myah in my prayers. Hopefully you'll have a chance to update us as to how she is doing. I know you'll be busy.

I had my tonsils and adenoids removed when I was 3. Mine were huge too, to the point where I wasn't eating much, and I am told that pre surgery my voice was a touch on the raspy side (my mom said I sort of sounded like a 3 year old who happened to be a chain smoker). Anyways, I was told I did really well and that it wasn't so bad, so I'll be hoping the very same things for Myah. It's nothing a little ice cream can't fix. :)

So glad you found a great doctor you can trust. Always trust your instincts. You're her mother. You know it all.


Danielle

3 Peanuts said...

Myah is such a trooper. I have been and will continue to pray for her:) Let's talk soon.
Lots of love,
Kim