Thursday, February 7, 2008

Happy Chinese New Year and Mark's surgery



First of all I want to wish everyone a very Happy Chinese New Year! Myah is very excited about eating her special Chinese dishes and candy today! Secondly, I want to thank everyone for your sweet emails and comments sending your good well wishes and prayers for Mark, we truly appreciate all of the support. He is home and resting, very swollen and bloody eyes but his humor is still in tact (of course) and he is relieved to have the surgery over with. The surgery went very well, it was a long day, it is a two part procedure and they can't give him proper pain medication until after the second process is completed. So for about 5 hours after surgery he can't have any pain management. He was in terrible pain this time, he didn't come out of recovery until 2 hours later, I was beginning to get concerned, but they reassured me that they were just trying to make him comfortable. I actually cried when I saw him, his head was bandaged and he couldn't see, added to that the fact that he was in so much pain, made my heart just sink. I cannot say enough about the wonderful Dr's and nurses, they were so compassionate and took very good care of him. His vision will still be a bit blurred and possibly still double for a while but that should get better once his brain gets used to the new eye position. He actually had the surgery on both eyes, we knew that they would do a small procedure to the left eye but did not realize that both eyes needed the muscle repair. It was a long day and we just wanted to get home, unfortunately I had to drive home in a horrible snow storm, it took me 2 hours to get home from Ann Arbor, it ususally takes me 25 minutes. I was a nervous wreck by the time I got home, it was so nice to have my mom here! Dayton actually had a snow day yesterday and also today so it worked out perfectly having him home to help out Grandma. The roads were so terrible last night I just prayed the whole way home, poor Mark was so out of it and uncomfortable, and I just could not get anywhere fast. Our neighbors could not even get into their driveway, they were stuck! Bless Dayton's heart, he snow blowed our driveway so that I could pull in, we have never taught him how to use it before! I was cracking up! My mom went home today, they received 18 inches of snow yesterday so I am praying for her safe travels. The kids just loved spending the past few days with her, we hated to see her leave! Well, I am off to play nurse for my sweet patient, hope you all have a great time celebrating the New Year!

10 comments:

Sheri said...

Thanks for the update on Mark! I've been praying for him and thinking about you guys the last two days. What an ordeal all around for the two of you! I'm so glad you got home safely in the storm. I'll continue to pray for his recovery and for his sweet nurse who is taking care of him. :)

Happy Chinese New Year to you!!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Oh gosh - I hope that Mark feels better soon!! I have heard about the s-n-o-w!! I at least hope that it is beautiful. Bless Dayton's sweet little heart:) Happy CNY!

Erin said...

What a long, harrowing day for your family! I am glad for you, that it is over. Dayton deserves a huge treat! (well, you all do!) Speedy recovery to your husband.

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

So glad to hear things went smoothly for Mark. I am sure it has been so stressful--the worrying, the driving in bad weather, and everything else. Praying he will heal fully. Sorry so cryptic. I have a two year old hanging off me...

Thanks for the update on things.

Blessings,
Lisa

Stefanie said...

Oh my goodness! What a day you've had! So glad to hear you're all safe and sound at home where you can help your sweetie recover :)

Lori said...

Leslie, I've just taken a bit of a sigh of relief to hear that everything is ok and that Mark is recovering. I'm glad that you all made it home safely in that snow~ that is very nerve wracking!
And how wonderful that Grandma was there to help and also Dayton~ it did seem to all work out well. I will continue to pray for Mark's recovery and all that goes along with that.
Have fun playing nurse! *wink*

Oh, and I'd LOVE to send you a quilt square~ I didn't know you were collecting! I'll email you for details!

Dawn said...

Leslie,

I am so glad all went well with Mark, I hope his pain can be managed so he is comfortable. I would have been a wreck driving for 2 hours in snow, YUCK! Praying for Mark's recovery.

Heather said...

We were praying for Mark and it sounds horrible to have to go through, but we are hoping he feels better quickly! At least he has quite the nurse to keep him happy:) (Wish I could drive over with some soup, have a chat and share some of that candy;)

How sweet is Dayton? What a wonderful boy!

Happy Chinese New Year! Even amidst the chaos, Myah's joy and energy make it that much sweeter.

Love,
Heather

Nikki said...

Oh sweetie, I am so glad to hear that Mark's surgery went well and that he was a trooper! Sorry it was such an ordeal - even down to your travels home.
(and Dayton is SUCH a sweet little man!)

Take good care!

3 Peanuts said...

Leslie,

Sorry to hear about Mark's pain but i am glad it is all over. i am not surprised at all about sweet Dayton. With a Mommy like you, I am sure he is as kind as can be. You have taught him well.

Hope you get some rest soon. I know this has been very stressful for you.

Kim