Saturday, February 9, 2008

Chinese New Year


Myah and her gifts from her special Hubei angel.


Dayton and Myah with their red envelopes and money for the New Year.
Whitney and Myah sharing the love! They love each other so much!
L-R: Ruby, Ellie, Myah and Sarah

This year we just layed pretty low on Chinese New Year, due to Mark's surgery the day before. I had decorated the dining room for Myah and we ended up inviting our good friends over just for a short visit to share in the festivities of the day with us. Myah and Whitney wore their silk dresses from China and I gave the kids all red envelopes with money in them. We tried a few sweets that I had bought at the local Chinese market, and had to throw away the rice cake that I had purchased due to mold! I guess I was supposed to keep it refrigerated, some things get lost in translation! We gave Myah new clothes for the New Year and we gave both of the kids red envelopes with money in them, this is the traditional gift for Chinese children. Myah got a dollar bill and is still walking around carrying her "fifty dollars". So funny! We have a very special lady in our lives whom we have never met, she works with my neighbor and knew of our adoption through her. She happens to be from Hubei (same Province as Myah) and makes sure to send a gift home with Linda to give to us on every Chinese holiday. Some gifts were from her family, handed down through generations. We feel very blessed to have such a special person in Myah's life. We plan on meeting one of these days! She is a Dr and is very busy! This year she sent Myah the most beautiful fans, a traditional Chinese candy sampler and a special gift from the Beijing Olympics. So thoughtful and meaningful. (Last year she gave Myah the beautiful Frienship Knots in the picture above). Myah also received a very special package from our friends the Smith's in Wisconsin, they sent her the cutest ladybug dress and shirts and capris, along with some coloring sheets with the New Year theme for Myah to color. Thank you Sherry! It is so nice to be able to continue these traditions for Myah and to celebrate her heritage.

We also had a great time this past Tuesday as we reunited with our adoption buddies. I just love these ladies and those little girls so much! We were in the same adoption group through our agency. Laura had sent out an email to all 12 families almost immediately after our dossiers were sent to China. Sheri and I answered and the three of us met for the first time and began our very speical friendship. Robin joined in the fun a few months later and the 4 of us became "adoption buddies" and rode the adoption roller coaster together. I will never forget the day of referrals, we were all able to go to the office together and share in that special day, it was one of the most precious days of my life. We were so bummed when we learned that our group was split in half, we were glad that each of us had a buddy in the same Province to provide support to each other. We will be lifelong friends I have no doubt! We have shared some amazing experiences together and the girls will always have each other! I miss them so much and love it when we can hook up! Laura lives near me and Robin and Sheri live near each other, so we each have a buddy close by as well. The girls are growing up so much, this was the first time that each of their personalities really shined, it was so much fun! I "borrowed" Sheri's pictures because my new little camera didn't capture the moment very well.

Mark is doing better, still bloodshot and sore. He is a bit dizzy and nauseas due to his eyes adjusting. He is hanging in there, he never complains but I can tell he isn't feeling really great. I am keeping up with the day to day but that is just about it! The snow can stop falling any time now, I am really sick of snowblowing and shoveling! Just adds to my responsibilities! We actually cooked today, we have been heating up meals that were prepared and it has been so nice, I was pretty prepared this time! The kids are being so good and Myah loves taking care of daddy and his "hurt eyes". I love nothing more than taking care of my family, I enjoy making them comfortable. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes, he is starting to get bored and the calls are nice! I am off to turn up the thermostat, it is supposed to get very bitter cold tonight!

8 comments:

Sheri said...

Glad to hear that Mark is hanging in there. I just can't imagine what he's going through! We'll continue to keep you all in our prayers as he recovers and you "hold down the fort."

Love the pictures of how you decorated -- very cute as usual. I'm glad you got to have a little celebration on Chinese New Year.

I'm glad you "borrowed" the picture of the girls together. I'll e-mail you the rest of the pictures so you have them, too. Reading what you wrote about our adoption experience together made me cry! We are all so blessed to have been in the same group. I'm so glad that we are all able to stay in touch and that our girls will always have each other.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, even though it's freezing cold and snowing! :)

3 Peanuts said...

Leslie,

Glad Mark is doing okay. I have been thinking about you guys non-stop. Don't want to call cause I know you are busy.

Your dining room looks so pretty! Great job on the decorations (and I got to see your new furniture;)
I love Myah's dress and the fans too. That is so special to have that woman from Hubei who sned Myah special treasures.

Happy New Year! I hope everyone is back to normal soon:)

Kim

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Leslie,

I am not at all surprised to see a beautiful CNY celebration. It doesn't sound little to me because I feel like I am so behind the curve on that...

Your tablescape in the dining room was amazing and it sounds like it was quite the special evening.

I am glad you got to be with the other beauties in your travel group. I know this is a very special bond you all share for so many reasons and it is great to have special times to look back on and future ones to dream about.

Stay warm and healthy and prayers for Mark as he continues to heal.

Hugs,
Lisa

Heather said...

Oh how beautiful the dining room looks! Especially the little cutie pictured with her new fans. What a sweet woman to bless Myah in so many ways.

Glad to hear that Mark is hanging in there - we will continue praying for a quick and restful recouperation.

Your family is so fortunate for your positive spirit and attitude even in the cold and snow. You are such a wonderful mommy and bless my heart everytime I visit.

Heather

DiJo said...

Hi!
Great news that Mark is turning the corner. Not a fun way to start out the new year for him.. Happy Year of the Rat to you!!! What a gift for Myah to have a special "angel" from Hubei who remembers her each year. And, what a blessing for you to have a circle of friends who lived your journey to Myah with you. I love the bond that we as adoptive mothers share. I hope you don't have to snow blow today... Spring will be here soon!
Blessings,
Diana

Erin said...

Love your decorations! It looks so festive! The photo of the girls together is priceless! I'm with you... enough snow!

jennifer said...

How great to have such special friends. I know you share a very special bond, as do the girls. Glad Mark is doing well. I hope he is fully recovered soon. I also hope the snow stops soon for you!

Lori said...

Leslie, your CNY decorations look beautiful~ what a great mommy you are to still make it a special time with all that you have going on.
I hope recovery goes quick for Mark.
Keep warm~ I'm so ready for Spring too!