Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Opening Day of Baseball!


His first at bat of the season
Dayton is catching here
A little love tap from his lil sis
Dad saying "good job!"



This is my 200th post! Wow, I know I am a chatterbox in "real"life but it looks like I am in bloggy land as well!


I am dedicating my 200th post to Dayton's opening day of baseball, his season started last night, after practicing since December, living at the ball field every day for the past 2 weeks, we finally started the 2008 season. We were excited but a bit anxious because Dayton is playing for a new team this year in the neighboring town. We really miss all of our friends on our hometown team, but the new people seem very nice and accepting of us rookies. He plays in a travel league so most games are either home or at least a half hour drive away. We are a baseball loving family and enjoy watching Dayton play. This is his one sport that he has stayed with through the years and I think it is because he just loves to play. He started playing when he was 4 years old! He has been on a travel team for 4 years. This year we are so excited to travel with his team to Cooperstown New York for a week to play in a tournament that they put on for 12 year olds only. We have been fundraising like crazy since December to help cover the costs for our players.


Last night was our first game, Dayton was so excited, a bit nervous but ready to play, remember the long winter we had? We had a nice night to play, it got a bit chilly but we were prepared so it wasn't too bad. Dayton is a pretty versatile player, he played catcher and 2nd base last night, he will be pitching some as well during the season. His first at bat he hit a beautiful hit to centerfield and it was caught. His second at bat he got on base and ended up scoring. We won 6-4! We were so happy for Dayton. He had a smile on his face the whole ride home in the car. He has had his fair share of losing so it was fun to see him win! I know winning isn't everything but it does feel pretty good!


Now you know lately things haven't really gone our way, and wouldn't you know that after we got home, Myah and Mark were playing and he picked her up by her arms/wrists and something popped loudly and she started screaming, wouldn't move her arm and was in great pain. This has happened 2 other times over the past day and a half but she was able to feel better within a few minutes. Not this time. So we loaded her in the car, we were literally only home for 10 minutes, and headed off to ER. After we got in a room she started using her arm again like it was no big deal, waving at us. We felt kind of silly at that point. Seems that she has a condition called Nursemaid Elbow. Shouldn't I be the one with that? Anyhow, she is dislocating her elbow and is able to pop it back into place on her own. Yikes!!! The Dr. said she is fine, just don't lift her by her arms any more. It is common I guess for toddlers, I have never heard of it. It is scary! So we marched out of there and dropped into our beds!


We are back at the ball field tonight for a scrimmage. If you want to see us, this is where we will be for the next 3 months! Go Bulldogs!

6 comments:

Virginia said...

Congratulations on your 200th post =)! I work in a pediatric office and we see the occasional nursemaids elbow so, no ,it's not that uncommon. A bit unnerving, but not uncommon. I think it has something to do with how loose the ligaments and things can be in small children. Also when it happens it kind of temporarily stretches things even more which makes it likely for it to happen back to back like her's has. So just follow their advice and don't pick her up by her arms for a while and hopefully her little elbows will tighten back up a bit =)
I've been following your blog for a little while now (not sure if I've commented before) and I'm hoping and praying for good health for you and all of your family. I'm sorry you've gone through so much lately.
Gin

Somewhere In The Sun said...

I just love the picture of Dayton and his dad! It's priceless!

Joe has had nursemaid's elbow 3 times. It's SO painful but easily fixed, once you get to see the ER doc. We threaten anybody who even LOOKS like they are going to pull his arms. Your luck sounds about like ours...the last time this happened to Joe it was just a few hours after Lili died. Blake had to take him to the ER in the midst of everything!

I hope your dad is doing better. I'm still praying.

~Lynn

3 Peanuts said...

Oh my goodness! Glad Myah is okay. Dayton looks so cute in his uniform:)

Kim

Football and Fried Rice said...

I love bseball season; it means summer is coming!!

Lori said...

Hey I use to be a Bulldog too! (but not for baseball) :)
The elbow thing is just gross and I can't go there~ lol (But I'm glad she's ok!)
CONGRATULATIONS DAYTON!! What a way to start the season~ I'm sure it felt great to be back outside doing your thing! Great job!! :)

Melanie said...

Okay, I left a comment the other day, but I thought I hit the wrong button...I was right!
Anyway....Yeah BIG D! I am so excited that he won a game so early in the season! I am so proud of him for stepping up and playing his heart out!