Friday, August 31, 2007

Princess Diana


The day before my 11th birthday I woke up very early in the morning to watch the wedding of Lady Diana Spencer to Prince Charles. I remember thinking that it was their birthday gift to me. I purchased a book commemorating the wedding with the $30 that I received for my birthday from our local bookstore downtown. From that moment on I would forever be a fan of Princess Diana. I collected Royalty memorablia, magazines, kept newspaper clippings, anything that had to do with Diana. When Prince William was born I swore was going to marry him when he got to be older. I did marry a prince but it sure wasn't William! My family all knew of my obsession with Princess Diana and would pick up copies of magazines and books for me about her. I have several that Mark bought me in our very young courting years. I have a pretty good collection. Ten years ago today I was up north at my parent's house when I got the horrible news that she had been in a terrible accident. When I learned that she had died, I had to excuse myself and went and bawled my eyes out in the bathroom. Of course I got up at 2 am to watch her funeral and actually had friends call me and see how I was doing, crazy I know. The little girl in me would miss the woman who I had looked up to for so many years and I had always hoped that someday I would have the opportunity to see her in person. A few years ago while I was in Florida for Spring Break, I had the opportunity to visit the Diana Memorial Exhibit that her brother Earl Spencer put together for her at their home Althorp. He turned it into a traveling exhibit around the world so that her fans could pay their respects and get a glimpse into the real Diana. I swear, the morning I found out that I was going to this exhibit and actually see her wedding gown I could not stop shaking. My cousin Sheri went with me and it was a beautiful tribute to my beloved Princess. I saw The Gown, I stood in front of the huge glass display and just stared at all of the detail, the enormous train, the sparkling jewels in her crown, even her shoes were magnificent, I stood there for at least a half an hour. There were no pictures allowed, you can just imagine how badly I wanted a picture of this! The guard in the room kept falling asleep and Sheri kept saying "you want to take a picture don't you?" I sure did but respected their rules. There were many gowns and beautiful tributes on display, it was one of the most special moments in my life. You know, one of those moments that is just about you, no one else, a moment that gets into your soul. I felt like I finally had my moment in time with her. I purchased a few extra special pieces to complete my collection, packed them away and have moved on. She will always be special to me, her life wasn't the fairytale I had always pictured it to be, but she was a remarkable woman and a great mother. Today her boys spoke at a memorial service for her and said that she was the best mother in the world and "she was our guardian, friend and protector", they also asked that she be remembered as "fun-loving, generous, down to earth and entirely genuine." I guess after all of these years she still can inspire me.

7 comments:

Lynn said...

She touched so many lives, I remember where I was on that day... my mom was making me dust the living room.

I dusted VERY slowly so I could watch the wedding!

alas, I was 16 though!

Lori said...

Leslie, I love this post,it is so beautifully written, as I share so much of what you feel. Their wedding and her life seemed so "magical".
She was a terrific mother and her sons should be very proud.
I just got an invitation in the mail yesterday from a local furniture store..."I've been cordially invited to meet Earl Charles Spencer and view the beautiful Althorp collection of fine furniture inspired by his family's magnificent home"
Doesn't that sound fun?
I think you should come with me! :D

3 Peanuts said...

I remember the wedding and when I heard she died. My oldest son was a newborn (2 months ) when she died. Where does the time go?

People always aske me if I neamed Will and Harry after the princes (I did not--they are family names and did not even realize the connection at first because Harry is Harrison). But I did love Princess Di!

Kim

Dawn said...

Hi there,

I just came across your blog on Danielle's, and couldn't help but post. I too loved Diana, and was so saddened by her death. We will always remember where we were on that day, won't we. I was in a park years ago with my two "little" boys, at the time, pushing them on swings, when this older man came up to me and mentioned how I resembled Diana with my 2 boys (I really think it was my copy cat haircut at the time :), but it was such a wonderful compliment. She was a wonderful human being.

Danielle Moss said...

I love Princess Diana. I don't know anyone who didn't love her. Today when we were out, I stopped in front of a display of Princess Di books and just paused. She was beautiful, compassionate, and one of the most wonderful women who has ever lived. Great post.

Elle Jay Bee said...

What a beautiful tribute...share we were very similar little girls indeed! I was so touched by Prince Harry's tribute to her...it is so sad that those two boys are motherless.She seemed to be as much their friend as their mother. She was doing it right in a world that probably fought her every step of the way. I was always so glad she fought the establishment and kept her boys nearby for their schooling instead of doing as the royals do and shipping them off. In essence, she shared them with all of us...

Heather said...

Leslie - this is beautiful. I still love all things Princess Di I think she was an icon...just classy and quite lovely. I remember watching the wedding with my mom in our family room and I remember vividly the day she died. I can tell you exactly where I was and what I was doing (but I won't bore you with that!)Just a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.
Heather