Thursday, January 29, 2009

Daddy's Hands

My sister took this picture of my parent's hands just 2 days before Dad passed away.Four Generation Hands, Grandpa, Dad, Me and Dayton taken Thanksgiving 2006.


I remember Daddy's hands folded silently in prayer,
and reaching out to hold me when I had a nightmare.

You could read quite a story in the callouses and lines.
Years of work and worry had left their mark behind

I remember Daddy's hands,how they held my Mama tight

and patted my back for something done right.

There are things that I've forgotten that I loved about the man,

But I'll always remember

the love in Daddy's hands.

Daddy's hands were soft and kind when I was cryin'.

Daddy's hands were hard as steel when I'd done wrong.

Daddy's hands weren't always gentle,

but I've come to understand...There was always love

in Daddy's hands.

5 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

I know you miss him. What treasured pictures.

Kim said...

Just beautiful Leslie!

Vicki said...

I love the idea of photographing generations of hands. You think of the best things!

3 Peanuts said...

Oh Leslie---that is simply beautiful.

Kim

Leanne said...

Leslie, I have been following your blog because I'm in the process of adopting from China. I can't even remember how I found you. I have never left a comment, but I HAD to this time! Those photos are so neat! They brought me to tears. You have a beautiful family, and a lot to be proud of!!!