Tuesday, November 20, 2007

In Loving Memory


Grandma Dorothy passed away last night around 9:15 pm. She left us all with the most precious gifts that we have ever received, her words, her thoughts and her prayers for all of us. On Sunday we arrived in time for her to hear our final goodbyes, tell her how much we loved her, how much we will miss her and how we will see her again. She knew it was "her day". She was very much alert, joking in her fashion, she filled the room with laughter for the last time. She said the Lord's prayer for all of us, she prayed with her Priest, she sang songs that she used to sing to us and looked forward to seeing her family and loved ones in Heaven again. She told us we will all get through this. One of the most tender moments for me was when she started saying, "now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep....." she finished that sweet prayer that we have always said with our children every night. I knew in my heart that the part about "if I should die before I wake" really was about to happen and I knew the "Lord her soul would take". I will never forget that. She lost consciousness around 4 am on Monday morning and would not come out of it. We stayed with her all day and after many of us had left last night, she passed away. Peacefully. We said our goodbyes to her one last time before we left yesterday and as soon as Mark and I were done she became really restless, I felt as if she had heard us. She was the most special person to us and life will never be the same without her in it. We already miss her greatly. We are thankful that her suffering was for a very short period and that she was able to live quite independently up until last week. She was the funniest person that I knew. I look at Mark and he has so many of her qualities. We are so blessed to have so many wonderful memories with her. Phyllis asked myself and Stephanie if we could go shopping for an outfit for Grandma to wear, I was honored to do this and we found something that was just perfect for her that matched the necklace Mark and I had bought her last year. She will always be beautiful. Due to the holiday and the church's schedule her visitation will not be until Sunday and her funeral Mass will be on Monday at her church. We will truly celebrate her life and all that she has done for her family and her friends and community. Heaven is her home and we can't wait for that glorious reunion with her. Thank you for your continued prayers and messages, this will be a difficult week for sure but we will get through it just as Grandma said. On a side note, the first night that Myah slept in her big girl bed was the night that Grandma died, Grandma had given us her mattresses to use for Myah because she always slept in her chair where she was comfortable. The mattresses were like new. I never got to show her how beautiful Myah's bed looked when I was done with it.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie, what a beautiful tribute to Grandma. What a wonderful way to have left you all... I will remember her beautiful smile, her laugh and that gorgeous white hair.

Love, Vicki

Anonymous said...

Ashley, Grace, Alison, and I will be thinking of you guys this week and keeping all of you in our prayers this week. The slideshow and the write-up were beautiful. Like Vicki, I will always remember her smile, laugh, and her white hair. She was always so nice to us whenever we saw her.

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Oh, Leslie, what an incredibly touching post. From the song, the pictures, and your description of her last moments--it is all so special. I am so sorry for your family's immense loss. There will be a huge hole for sure. I hope it helps knowing your friends (far and near) and family are praying for your comfort.

Thank you for sharing this special lady and her final moments on this earth with us.

Peace,
Lisa

Sheri said...

The angels are rejoicing today because one very special lady is now singing in heaven's choir with them! Your post about her was so incredibly touching (you made me cry). I don't think I'll ever say bedtime prayers with Sarah again without thinking of Grandma Dorothy praying it. It is so evident that she has touched so many lives and will be greatly missed. I will be praying for peace for all of the family during this difficult time.

Deb said...

Leslie,
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Mark's grandmother. No matter what the age.....we are never ready to let go. I lost my last grandmother a few years ago at age 94.....It was incredibly difficult and I still miss her greatly.

I know that this will be a tough Thanksgiving for your family, but I hope that you can let this be a true thanksgiving of her life.....just as she would want you to have! You will all certainly be in our prayers!

Michael and Tammy said...

I just wanted to say what a beautiful tribute to your Grandma. My Grandma died just over a year ago and I miss her so much - I cried as I watched your slide presentation. I always hope and pray that one day when we meet our Mhyia that my Grandma will be there looking in on us just as I am sure that your Grandma has already seen how beautiful Myahs room looks with her new bed.

My sincerest condolences.

Joanne said...

So sorry for your loss- what a special and beautiful slide show in tribute to your grandma! (I'm sure your gma "sees" Myah's room - she knows!)

3 Peanuts said...

Leslie,

I am crying for your pain and loss and smiling through my tears at the beautiful tribute you made for her. I am praying for your family. It sounds like she lived a beautiful life and was surrounded by love. Hugs my friend. I wish I could heal your heart.

Love,
Kim

Jodee said...

Leslie -- that is a wonderful tribute to Mark's Grandma. I am so sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Robin said...

Leslie,
We're thinking of you tonight and will be praying for you during this difficult time. What beautiful pictures and a touching tribute! What struck me was how Grandma's eyes were just shining in those pictures, especially the more recent ones. Sounds like your Grandma was an example we could all learn from. She was an inspiration to me through you! What a blessing to know that she's in heaven tonight.
With love and prayers!
Robin

Heather said...

Leslie -

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. What an amazing woman and you chose a beautiful way to pay homage to such a special and spirit filled grandmom.

This song is one of my favorites, I play it constantly and usually at volumes that we won't discuss, but the truth is, a precious mother, grandmother and great grandmother is home with her heavenly father and can rest and laugh and share her joy forever. You will be with her again and until then, how blessed to have the beautiful memories.

Sending you hugs and praying for your entire family. Hoping for comfort and peace as you grieve and heal.

Heather

Football and Fried Rice said...

wow. i love the song & what it could mean & hold for us all. how i would love to one day be in a place where my family is surrounding me in love as i prepare to go home...simply beautiful. thanks for sharing through your loss and love....

Danielle Moss said...

Oh Leslie, this is a beautiful post. I am so so sorry for your loss. This was such a beautiful and touching tribute. If you feel like you need to talk, you can call me any time.

I will keep you all in my prayers. Please send my best wishes to Mark and the rest of your family.

Lots of love,

Danielle

DiJo said...

Tears of thanksgiving for your beautiful tribute to a very blessed Grandma! I am so sorry for your loss, but so thankful that you were there to say goodbye!
Hugs from Minnesota!
-Diana

Jewels of My Heart said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your tribute to her is beautiful. As hard as it is to say "until we meet again." How wonderful to know that she is young, healthy and in the arms of her Jesus!
Will pray for your family.
God's Peace
Daleea

Empress' Mom said...

Leslie,
I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Your tribute is so eloquently written, I've got tears streaming down my face as I type. What a treasure your grandmother was to everyone! Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Hugs,
June & Lilli

Dawn said...

Leslie,

I am so sorry for your loss. She sounds so amazing...and those last hours with her are priceless.

I wish your family a Happy Thanksgiving, and peace as you go through the holidays, and the rest of the week without Grandma. Oh the angels are rejoicing right now though!

Mark said...

Leslie.
you amaze me...Grandma loved you with all her heart.. you gave her memories that she cherished for her whole life...I thank God everyday that she will be our guardian angel; watching over us as we continue to live our lives on this earth, until we meet her in Heaven...Please find comfort in knowing that she is in the company of your Grandma Friend, Grandpa Asher, Uncle Pete, and my best friend, My Dad...
Leslie, your are a gift from GOD and I love you with all my heart...

forever yours,

Mark

Lori said...

Oh Leslie, wow....what a beautiful tribute to an amazing woman. I'm sorry that you finally had to say goodbye to her...for now. :) I am glad that you all were able to be there with her and talk with her and pray with her and laugh together. She sounds like a very special Grandma and a true blessing in your lives.
Peace to all of you in the days ahead. (hug)

Anonymous said...

Mark & Leslie,
I"m so sorry for your loss. This was a beautiful tribute to your grandma. Please know that you are in our thoughts in prayers.

Love to all of you,

Tami & Curt