Saturday, March 14, 2009

Two Months Already










Dad has been gone from this earthly life for two months today. We all miss him so much. At times it seems like it has been just yesterday, and other days it seems like I haven't heard his voice in years. We are headed up north to spend some time with my Grandpa (dad's dad) and also to spend the night with my mom. It will be good to go home. I have been pouring over old emails from Dad, he loved to write. I have been watching videos that I took of him, the last one was on Christmas and he lovingly gave a "farewell" speech that has now become a priceless gift. Yes life does go on, time just marches on no matter what, but he is constantly in my thoughts, actually the other day I was driving home from my Grandma's and usually when I left her place I would call Dad because I would be thinking about him, this time I went to reach for the phone and had to remind myself that he would not answer. It is just not burned into my memory yet that he is gone permanently. I held the phone to my ear and talked to him anyways, I am sure he was listening. We have received so many wonderful messages regarding Dad's passing. He sure meant alot to so many people, nationwide. The local news outdoor sports reporter spoke at Dad's funeral and later that weekend talked about my Dad and his funeral for about 10 minutes on his radio show, it was very nice, he sent us a copy. A fishing magazine is going to have a blurb about Dad's passing too. They are going to have a benefit motorcycle ride in Dad's honor this summer, the local sports writer also wrote about my Dad's passing and what an impact he made in the out of doors. A man who was the bass singer in the doo-wop group The Diamonds who sang the oldies favorite "Little Darlin" sang a song "The Anchor Holds" and recorded it for mom and said some very special words about his friendship with my Dad. His local motorcycle group has made a custom patch for their vests in Dad's honor. I know I am leaving something else out, but his legacy will live on through all of us. He would be so proud. A few people have commented on how Dad's life could be made into a movie, he was a Forest Gump type person (not the mentally slow part) but how he ran in many different circles and was a person who got things done, he was comfortable with famous people and those who society has forgotten. He knew Ted Nugent, Ross Perot, John Hagee, Geraldine Ferraro's brother, Governor Engler, Kathy Roberts ( gospel music artist of the year), she actually called and spoke beautiful words into his ear the day he passed away, Homer Circle, Forest Woods (owner of Ranger boats). The list goes on and on. I have never heard another person tell so many stories about their life, and they were all true! He was a fantastic storyteller, he could remember every detail of an experience he had 50 years ago. I miss hearing those the most, he could always make my stomach hurt from laughing. I need to laugh like that again.
I found this email that he sent out the day before he turned 60, almost 2 years ago, I thought I would share this excerpt from it:
On a personal note, tomorrow I'll become 60 years of age. Just that alone makes me believe in miracles as I never dreamt I'd live to see 30. In 1966, I graduated high school, married my child bride that September 24th, received my draft notice two weeks later and left November 15th.......OPENING DAY OF FIREARM DEER SEASON! Spent 3 years as a Military Policeman in Germany, came home and God provided Linda and I our first child, Leslie Lynne, itself a miracle as we were told by military doctors we'd probably never have children. Yep, we had plans to come home, buy a Corvette and a new house (we both had good jobs awaiting us) and live life to the fullest. God had another plan. Ended up with an old house, a used Olds Cutlass 4 door, but then we soon traded that for a brand new Barracuda! Well, yes, we were cool and loved the car, but when Leslie came along a few months later, guess what? No trunk, no backseat, NO ROOM FOR BABY, so we traded for a Dodge Charger. Couple of years later I came home drunker than a skunk to learn Linda was pregnant again for Melanie. I recall telling Linda, "Let me go lay down and sleep this off and tell me again when I'm sobered up!" Our family was complete.

He goes on to say.......

If I died today, my life would be complete! After all, He's also given me all of you Prayer Warriors and I no longer WORRY over anything. Concerned? Yes, but never worry. Pray about it and leave it at The Cross. And it's so wonderful to see prayers being answered, regardless of degree of challenge. So, in honor of God allowing me 60 years of life, I offer praise and blessings upon each of my family, friends, and all the Prayer Warriors, for making my life worth living.......and I look forward to seeing our 3 grandchildren with The Lord right now. THEN, LIFE WILL BE COMPLETE.......FOR ALL OF US!!!!!!! WITHOUT HIM WE'RE NOTHING, BUT WITH HIM THERE'S NOTHING WE CANNOT DO!!!!!!!

That was Dad, you know when he wrote in all caps he really meant was he was saying! He is also where I get me obsession with exclamations points from. He wasn't always perfect but he was my Dad, the one and only forever and ever. Miss you Dad!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Leslie,

Hang in there. The firsts are always the toughest. I would like to say it gets easier over time, but you only get used to it. My dad has been gone for almost 9.5 years now. It is still tough. Just talk to him when you feel a need, he is listening. God hears you talk to him also, he will help you through the tough times! Let me know if there is anything I can do!!

DiJo said...

Leslie,
Tears over here. What a special tribute to a very special man! I love that you have so many notes, video, etc. to feel close to him! I same every email from my Dad too. They are priceless gifts!

Blessings to you!
Diana

Lori said...

Your Dad sure was one amazing man! I loved that you "talked to him anyway". :)
I'm glad that you have the emails to read and videos to watch and all the incredible memories to keep in your heart. I LOVE the photo of your mom and dad sitting by the dock there.....beautiful, beautiful picture!! :)