Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Special Meeting and Alert!

A few weeks ago all of the Chinese adoption boards/forums and also local news channels were all a buzz with the sad story of the family who were in China adopting and the father passed away while they were there. Well, I don't know this family personally but I saw my Aunt Katie at my Grandma's party this weekend and she asked if I had heard about this family. I said that I had and she told me that she works with the Aunt of the little Chinese girl. Aunt Katie said that the other day the mom Sandi brought little Hannah in to visit her aunt. So my Aunt got to meet this special family. She said that little Hannah is adorable and that Sandi appeared to be doing alright, I am sure this is the most difficult time in her life. What scared me is that my Aunt told me that the dad was diabetic and that the Chinese government would not allow him to bring his pump into the country. They required him to go to the hospital 3 times a day to receive his medication. Evidently, he passed away under their care. Maybe if he was allowed to keep his pump this would not have been such an unfortunate incident. She said that the dad was cremated over there, per his wishes. I hope all of these facts are accurate, I am getting them 3rd hand, but I just wanted to pass this information along so if any of you know anyone traveling to China in the near future that requires any sort of medical devices, please let them know about this situation and maybe something can be arranged before they travel. This might be old news to everyone but I thought it was a pretty good source and I had not heard this yet so I figured it was a pretty important piece of information to pass along.

3 comments:

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Wow, this is very troubling and quite sad if this is the case. Hopefully, precautions will be taken so something so tragic doesn't happen again.

Thanks for passing this information along.
Lisa

Jodee said...

I had heard about this family, but I didn't know exactly what happened. I also wear an insulin pump and it would be very challenging to travel without it. My thoughts and prayers are with this family. Thanks for the information.

3 Peanuts said...

So sad. Thank yu for passing this along:)

Kim