Thursday, December 6, 2007

Happy 80th Birthday Grandma!!!




Today marks my Grandma Verna's 80th Birthday! I called her tonight to wish her a happy birthday and she had me laughing, my mom (her oldest child), drove down to visit with Grandma and took her out to lunch and shop till they dropped. I love my Grandma so very much. She is the sweetest person that I know, she always has a smile, the cutest little giggle and a song for everything! I love listening to her stories, she has a way of always putting a positive spin on things. I always think of the Dolly Parton song, She's an Eagle When She Flies, when I think about her life. She has always put other's needs before her own, she is the least selfish person that I know, she has tenderly taken care of my Grandpa, my Great Grandma, her best friend, and her son during their times of sickness, and made sure that all of their needs were met until their final hour. She is an angel! Grandma is also a huge country music fan, she loves George Jones and especially loves Chris Kristofferson! I used to love spending summer nights at her house, they had a swimming pool and always had baby kittens around, she also had sweets for us kids! She makes the best Texas Sheet cake, my mouth waters just thinking about it. Grandma also has a way of getting kids the toys they REALLY want for Christmas, we always knew that when we went up to her house, we were going to get what we asked for, she would let us all sit down with the Sears or JCPenney catalogs and put our initials on the items that we liked so she knew exactly what it was that would make us happy. I had to laugh today when she said that she went shopping with my mom that they started out at Goodwill, and then ended up at the mall going to Macy's and Chico's, they totally went from one extreme to the other! She said that they actually had more fun at Goodwill. Wow, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree does it?! So much of who I am comes from her and my mom, it is scary! She is so special to my family, we want to just wish her a super happy 80th and many more! We love you Grandma!

6 comments:

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Leslie~

What a lovely and loving description of your grandma. She sounds fantastic and so much fun. You said a lot of who you are is her. Well, she must be sweet, thoughtful, kind, and have a huge heart of gold because you certainly do.

Thanks for making me dream of Texas Sheet cake now. Love it!!!

Cherish every moment.

Hugs,
Lisa

Danielle Moss said...

Leslie,

Your grandmother sounds like a lot of fun. She sounds very sweet - just like you.

Have a wonderful weekend!

So much for my blog break. I am working on blogs every day, so I can't keep from stopping by to check on everyone.

This post makes me miss my grandparents, but reminds me of how blessed I am to have my great aunt Rose. Her big thing is Dancing with the Stars, and she also loves Grey's.

Have a great weekend.

Danielle

Football and Fried Rice said...

What a great lady! I can't believe that she still shops! Yeah, you've got me going on the Texas sheet cake now too.....yummy:=)

Jodee said...

Wow! She sounds like such a fun Grandma! I love Texas sheet cake too!

Jake and Taryn said...

What a wonderful celebration!!! What a blessing in all of your lives!!! Treasure her always!! :)

I still have my Grandmother too and I am so thankful for that. I lost my Grandfather and think about him everyday. But, I have become much more aware of how much I need to cherish my time with my Grandmother!

What a special person in your lives! Happy Birthday to her....and many many more!

Deb said...

What sweet memories of days with your Grandma, Leslie. There is nothing better than those special grandparent/grandchild relationships. All of my grandparents are gone now....and your post made me think back to sweet days of my own. So glad you had a special surprise weekend for her too! I'm sure that she will be talking about that for many months to come.