Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Dad's First Birthday In Heaven

Dad and Grandpa were very close. Their birthdays are only 2 days apart. This picture was taken during our little celebration for Dad's 60th and Grandpa's 85th, I love seeing them laugh.

Today on 9/9/09 my Dad would have turned 62. I have thought about him so much over the past few days leading up to his birthday. I am missing him so much. I keep trying to forget about those last few days of his life and focus on the good times with him. He loved to laugh, especially as a family, we are a crazy, joking family and Dad always had the funniest, craziest stories to tell and was the best joke teller I ever knew. I love that he gave me the gift of laughter, it has helped me so much this past year, I am not a very serious person, always the jokester and trying to see the humor in things, I get that from him. Just this past weekend, our family sat around laughing at "Dad" stories. He was a character. Life is much more boring without him in it that is for sure. I know he is sharing his birthday with those he loved so much who had gone on before him, certainly he and my Uncle Cleo and Uncle Pete are throwing a party like nobody's business! What gives me the most comfort is knowing that he is with Jesus, he was so ready to meet him. Even though we all miss him terribly here, I would never wish him back the way he was. He is at peace and that is the greatest birthday gift he could ever receive. Happy Birthday Dad! Here is the video that I took on his last birthday a year ago today. (Dad loved the Doobie Brothers so I put one of his favorites on here, we used to sing it Karoke with him all the time)

2 comments:

Super Mommy said...

Sounds like you found some peace on this day, seeing how your dad is celebrating in Heaven. Your dad sounds like mine, who was also taken too soon, a great joke teller with a wonderful sense of humor. You will keep him alive in your memories... hugs to you!

3 Peanuts said...

Oh Leslie...I am sure this is a tough day for you. I was thinking of you a lot this week and whenever that happens I pray because I feel God is nudging me to pray for someone when they are on my mind.

I am sure your Dad had quite a time celebrating in heaven.

Kim

P.S. I called you last week..did you get my message? I had tonsil questions.